Monday, December 15, 2008

Vintage Christmas Cards

Years ago my mother-in-law gave me a small box full of letters from the 1940's. They were from an uncle that had passed away. She knew I collected stamps and thought I would be interested in them. To my surprise, it also contained Christmas Cards. Each year I get them out and contemplate what I could do with them to preserve their importance but I have not thought of any good ideas yet. I would like to share some of my favorite ones with you.
1941:

1941 Outside

1941 Inside

1941 Outside

1941 Inside


1943 Outside

1943 Inside

1943 Outside

1943 Inside

After seeing these here, I probably should have used a red background color to make them stand out a little more. This scan job does not do them justice. They are much prettier in person. Check out the stamps, 1 1/2 cents in 1941 and still 1 1/2 cents in 1943 to mail a letter.
If anyone has any good ideas on how to use these, I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful treasure you have there! I don't have any suggestions for what you should do with them other than to keep them well. They look like they are in terrific shape.

    Personally, I've never been comfortable cutting up treasures like this and using them in other ways. Something always stops me and I think, "What if I cut it up and use it for this, and later I'll want to have it for something else, and it will be gone?" But then I see the creative ways other people alter just about anything and I think, "WOW! How cool is that!"

    I guess I would just say follow your own instinct. I've found if I do that I'm usually right. I can't wait to see what other people suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have saved cards I have received as far back as 1944 and I have made a scrapbook with those cards and put the pages in a sleeve protector to keep them out of harms way. I made notations under each and I will pass this scrapbook down to one of my children who likes this sort of things. Your cards are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete